[Terrapreta] Farm Produced Biochar

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Tue Aug 14 11:56:14 EDT 2007

Robert,

I have talked with friends and clients who are grain farmers in the
"prairies" (US Midwest and Canada) about making biochar on the farm. So far
there is: a) interest in the biochar and its potential; b) no real interest
in making it themselves unless there is a do-it-yourself model
("entertainment value"); and c) skepticism about the economic and agronomic
value ("show me").

Why should a grower invest his labor, equipment and money in making biochar
on the farm? We haven't clearly made that case yet. (And, where is he going
to find a "lot of nitrogen rich manure" on a grain farm?) Growers I know
will not speculate unless there is a perceived pot of gold at the end of the
rainbow.

Find an interested grower and build a system around his/her specific
circumstances. Demonstrate that it's worth doing. Then watch 1% of the
farmers in the area adopt it.

Tom