[Terrapreta] Overview on biochar production methods

Robert Flanagan saffechina at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 01:40:32 EDT 2007

Hi All,

Another company in India that have successful biomass to energy projects
goings for over 20yrs is http://www.ankurscientific.com/whygasification.htm for
a look at feedstock's and solutions take a look at their range
http://www.ankurscientific.com/range.htm . Ankur already have off the shelf
charcoal producing gasifiers suitable for both forest and agricultural
waste. They also have a new anaerobic digestion process for methane
production for details contact gpnagori at ankurscientific.com .

Regards,
Rob.

On 8/16/07, Elliot Fraval <elliot.fraval at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am another newcomer to the list who has been interested in terra
> preta for a long time and  am very interested in commercial scale
> projects. Anyways there are a few more companies I have come across
> when I was trying to gauge what was out there. Of particular note,
> given some of the recent discussions of mobile ag waste pyrolysis is
>
> http://www.jfwasteenergysystems.com/
>
> They have a 40tpd mobile system and off memory claim to go to 80 or
> 120 tpd, but just by bringing more trucks as far as I could tell.
> Looks like these days you have to get a login for their site :(
>
> Juniper consulting in the UK did a worldwide review of gasification
> and pyrolysis technologies in the late 90s (IIRC) and again in 2001.
> The report costs (and I haven't paid for it yet, 525 squid!) but you
> can get the list of companies they assessed for free and do your own
> digging. Certainly kept me busy for a few weeks :)
>
> www.juniper.co.uk
>
> which following a lot of links gets you to:
>
> http://www.wastereports.com/vintage_reports/p_%26_g_volume_2.html
>
> They have also conducted a number of studies on markets for carbon
> char, anaerobic digestion and lots of other interesting technology IMO
> related to sustainability.
>
> http://www.eco-web.com/
>
> is also a usefull site for checking out companies in this sort of field.
>
> It appears that many people here are interested in condensing the tar
> rather than cracking it into a syngas. From my understanding the tars
> are full of particulates and whilst are able to run a diesel engine
> often the run is short and engine often requires rebuilding from
> researchers that I have talked to. Further, the tar will tend to
> fraction out in transport and tend to leave a thick sludge in the
> transport container. Several expert pyrolysis attendees at conferences
> I have attended considered the Dynamotive and other analogous
> processes too premature due to the fractionation process and
> particulates sandblasting the turbine they were proposing to use for
> powergen. The syngas is comparatively much easier to clean of
> particulates from my understanding, with the downside that you need to
> store a gas not liquid.
>
> Do many people on the list have practical experience running gensets
> off tar or syngas here? Seems like there is an incredible wealth of
> expertise on the list from reading as much as I have been able to of
> the archives.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Elliot
>
> On 8/16/07, Shengar at aol.com <Shengar at aol.com> wrote:
> >

> > Hi  Christelle,
> >

> > All the Bio-Char Companies and equipment manufactures, using closed-loop
> > systems, I've found:
> >
> >  Carbon Diversion
> > http://www.carbondiversion.com/
> >

> >  Eprida: Sustainable Solutions for Global Concerns
> > http://www.eprida.com/home/index.php4

> [...]

Robert Flanagan
Chairman & President
Hangzhou Sustainable Agricultural Food & Fuel Enterprise Co., Ltd.

Tel:   86-571-881-850-67
Cell:  86-130-189-959-57