[Terrapreta] Overview on biochar production methods

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Thu Aug 16 12:28:51 EDT 2007

Robert,

Your mention of Ankur raises an interesting point. A gasifier can make char
by removing charcoal faster than you reduce it to gas. We did some
experiments with a 200 kWe Ankur gasifier. During normal operation char
production is about 5% with a  volatile Matter (VM) content of about 10% .
When we ran at a high char withdrawal rate we were making about 10% char
with a VM of 28%.  The point is that if you run a gasifier as a pyrolyzer
then the quality of the char is likely to change.

Tom