[Terrapreta] Overview on biochar production methods

Adriana Downie adriana at bestenergies.com.au
Thu Aug 16 22:14:08 EDT 2007

Jeff,

If you know the mass of the wood in and the mass of the charcoal out,
then the balance will be what has volatilised into the gas phase so you
know the mass of gas out. It is very hard to control yield in batch
processes unless you bring down the temperature in a nitrogen
environment to prevent combustion.

I get our char samples tested at our local coal laboratory (coal is a
big industry in Australia so there is a few labs). If you ask for a
'proximate analysis' this will give you volatiles, ash, and fixed carbon
levels. Also if you get a calorific value (CV) of both the feed and the
char you can do an energy balance.

Moisture content is easy to do yourself (if you have a scale). Weight
some chips, put them in your oven at about 70C, measure until the weight
stabilises. The difference in mass in the physical moisture.

Adriana Downie
BEST Energies Australia