[Terrapreta] Overview on biochar production methods

Jeff Davis jeff0124 at velocity.net
Thu Aug 16 23:33:58 EDT 2007

Hi Adriana

Adriana wrote:
> If you know the mass of the wood in and the mass of the charcoal out,
> then the balance will be what has volatilised into the gas phase so you
> know the mass of gas out.

True but your gas quality can vary. It would be possible to have just CO2
and N2. I like H2 rich gas.

>It is very hard to control yield in batch
> processes unless you bring down the temperature in a nitrogen
> environment to prevent combustion.

My process is continuous. I'm thinking the SV will control yield.

> Moisture content is easy to do yourself (if you have a scale).

I'm with you here. I did that with an old microwave oven and scales.
Sometimes my sample gets carbonized :)

I don't fell I do a good job with what I have to work with and it would be
nice to out source some of this work.

Too costly but nice to check out:
Moisture Determination Balances
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=0100270

Thanks,

Jeff

--
Jeff Davis

Some where 20 miles south of Lake Erie, USA