[Terrapreta] Overview on biochar production methods

Adriana Downie adriana at bestenergies.com.au
Fri Aug 17 03:14:27 EDT 2007

Jeff,

Quality of the gas is a whole separate issue. We do measurements before
and after our gas clean-up so we use the European tar sampling procedure
(which involves impinger trains, filters and gas meter) to 'drop out'
and larger chain hydrocarbons so they can be quantified and so they
don't foul up the analysers.  We then have a suite of gas analysers
including a GC. It is a reasonably expensive exercise to get set up and
maintain, but the only way to know what you have.

A straight hydrogen meter is cheaper and will tell you something,
perhaps a good place to start. Hydrogen however is often not the crux of
the energy content in a pyrolysis gas, so you may be left feeling like
you missed something.

Adriana.
BEST Energies