[Terrapreta] Farm Produced Biochar

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Fri Aug 17 11:28:55 EDT 2007

Gerald, Tom etl

1.  Thanks for forwarding this new (to me) short summary article you cite
below.  We had a bit of discussion on this topic a few months back.  For
instance, see:
/2007-April/000503.html
and
/2007-May/000861.html
(and there are others)

2.  I personally find this report fascinating and credible.  Credible
because Professor Antonietti is clearly a very accomplished scientist and
the Max Planck Institute is well respected as well.  He has nothing to gain
and a lot to lose by reporting a non-starter.

3.  A good friend (Ron West - retired ChE professor) and I have tried to
communicate with this group - and have had some success in getting
additional research results.  But your forwarded article is better than
anything else we have found.  Unfotunately, it still doesn't say what we
really need.  That is - more about the catalyst that is being used, and its
form - and details on pressure and temperature.  The article you cite
doesn't say what others have said on the catalyst - "iron" (and maybe "iron
oxide").  Presumably there are patent issues.  But we need others to be
duplicating their results - and I am not aware of any.

4.  The other articles we have seen have not reported on the big potential
for liquid fuels with these nanoparticles as a starting point - so "terra
preta" may be hard pressed to compete.  It was good to see Professor
Antonietti emphasizing the soil amendment aspects of his invention.  I
include several from the MP Institute in this response, hoping to bring them
closer to the soil testing side that Tom Miles keeps emphasizing and so many
on this list want to participate in.

5.  This week's dialog on where to do processing is directly pertinent
here - as this reputedly is a simple (low cost?) process that could be
farm-based.  I don't see the word "solar" here, but think the needed
starting energy could be from that source.

Again - thanks for bringing us to this topic once more.

Ron