[Terrapreta] Farm Produced Biochar

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 17 11:57:55 EDT 2007

Ron,

Below, I've copied a copy of my correspondence with Dr. Antonietti.
Note that the catalyst is no problem at all.

Gerrit

Dear Gerald,

1) It works with all the biomass, but at different conditions.
Lignified cellulose relies on "melting" (it is a plastified
melting...) which occurs for pure cellulose beads at around 215 °C,
it is a slight increase of conditions.
Mixed with other stuff it occurs and around 190 °C, so branches
vanish completely in the lower range. This depends on "purity". We
work with 2 cm pieces max. with only little loss in efficiency. It is
like boiling vegetable soup.

2) It depends what you want. For "soil applications", you prefer a
"hydrophilic coal", and you need not catalyst at all, only weakly
acidic conditions.
Fe, Cu, and Ag are only needed when you do "engineering carbons",
i.e. with much higher structural density. But iron is not a problem:
4 % of the earth crust is made of ironoxides, and any red soul is
full of it. Sounds maybe strange, but red soil works perfect as a
catalyst. No cost, no removal...

3) Talking glucose, starch, and saccharides, this is easy: 70 - 80 %
of the energy stored in the plant goes into the carbon, about 20 - 30
% are liberated in the process. This is really a lot of heat: If you
treat 1 kg of sugar, you get about 500 g of coal, but energy as you
would have 200 g of the sugar! Close to a shell...

Biomass is more complex, no energy again from fats, amino acids, and
lignin. This gives a factor which can reduce energy gain to 5 - 10 %,
i.e. the process is essentially for free, but not more.

Thanks, indeed, for the interest.
Markus Antonietti