[Terrapreta] Flash carbonization

Robert Flanagan saffechina at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 00:40:49 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I've just had the chance to go back over some mails and I see we have some
new members so I'll do my best to pass on what I know.

A few weeks ago I posted this regarding charcoal production from green
waste,

"Regarding pyrolysis, the only reactor that make sense for green feedstock
to achieve high char yields in the shortest time with low energy inputs is
the "Flash Carbonizer"". Finding a way to deal with the high volume of wet
tar rich gas is the only downside.

The key question regarding good char and bad char is, what is the microbial
response to different char and does that response dramatically change when
the char is produce at different temperatures? If we're looking for long
term carbon storage in the soil then the biological response should be one
of the key areas of research."

Now I see that Ron has already asked Michael how he deals with the offgas so
I'd be very interested in reading the response. One thing that comes to mind
is the ability to flash off different compounds by using pressure relief
valves in series as he's running at 145psi. Some of the compounds could help
seed germination http://asgap.org.au/APOL2/jun96-6.html and Christoph has
just published one paper on the microbial response to charcoal when vinegar
(liquid smoke) was added.
Regarding the list of companies that produce charcoal reactors I think a
good place to start is the setting up of some basic criteria ie. Commercial
applications? Charcoal applications (field & pot trials), some base data to
show if their char is better than char made from the same biomass. Regarding
the Ankur gasifier, I've been in contact with them and they can modify their
gasifier to get about 15% charcoal. I've also encouraged them to do a
biochar trial to show the
effect of the biochar produced. My fear is if we don't start with some basic
criteria then every Tom Dick and Harriette will be trying to jump on the
band wagon as expressed by Mark Glover at the IAI conference this year. I
know the guys at BEST have done quite a lot of work in char specification so
maybe some one there could give us some guidelines? As for commercial
applications maybe we set the bench mark at three now that Dr Antal has met
this criteria?

Just an observation, from my view (Technician) we really need to focus on
data collection at this point and maybe not worry so much about equipment
(horse before the cart). The variables as I see them are feedstock's
(Forest, agriculture and animal waste) then processor (pyrolysis,
gasification & flash carbonization) then temperature. Now moisture content
should help determine what feedstock is best suited to what reactor. The big
variable that as yet remains unanswered is that is the most suitable
temperature and what with the effect be when the same temperature char is
used in soil of different pH? I've heard it all, high temp "V" low temp and
the most credible information I've received to date is from Robert Hill that
feedstock appeared to have more on an impact on microbial response then
temperature but he did note that char make from the flash carbonizer
appeared to have an extremely beneficial response. On my own field trials
I've stuck with 500C and on this years rice hull char I'm getting a
very positive response. Dr Zhong's student will collect all data from this
trial and when he processes it I'll pass it on. We need a more practical
guide for people to follow "Biochar manual" and at this point I don't think
it has to be based on strictly published data. Note a technician never looks
for the name of the guy that wrote the training manual, so at this point
even if you just set up a few pots with and with out char and show us the
results you'll be doing your part for the "Biochar training manual"

I hope this is of some help,

Rob.

--
Robert Flanagan