[Terrapreta] Charcoal and Atrazine.

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Aug 19 15:54:02 EDT 2007

Brian,

I've asked our family environmental engineer about this (every family should
have one) and looked only briefly at some references on degradation of
atrazine and remediation. This led to the following excerpt from the ITRC -
Phytoremediation Decision Tree, November 1999, Table 1: Types of
Phytoremediation for Organic Constituents

Type of remediation:

Rhizodegradation, phytostimulation, rhizosphere bioremediation, or
plant-assisted bioremediation

Process Involved:

Plant exudates, root necrosis, and other processes provide organic carbon
and nutrients to spur soil bacteria growth by two or more orders of
magnitude. Exudates stimulate degradation by mycorrhizal fungi and microbes.
Live roots can pump oxygen to aerobes and dead roots may support anaerobes.

Contaminant Treated:

Polyaromatic hydrocarbons, BTEX, and other petroleum hydrocarbons,
perchlorate, atrazine, alachlor, polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB), and other
organic compounds

To the degree that biochar stimulates microbial growth it should enhance
breakdown of atrazine. I would think that would depend on the relative
microbial populations in contact with the atrazine. A recent study shows
that enhanced microbial activity can reduce the herbicidal effect of
atrazine.

Larry Kurtz et. al. Enhanced Degradation of Atrazine under Field Conditions
Correlates with a Loss of Weed Control in the Glasshouse, Pest Management
Science January 2007

<http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?seq_no_115=1
92580>
http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?seq_no_115=19
2580

Experience with biochar and atrazine should be very interesting.

Tom Miles