[Terrapreta] agri-char market price.

Adriana Downie adriana at bestenergies.com.au
Sun Aug 26 23:23:02 EDT 2007

Sean,

This is not at all a straight forward question. Economics need to be
done in combination with an LCA (life cycle assessment) to ensure the
comparison is fair and that we are actually do more good than harm. If I
wasn't an engineer with professional responsibilities to meet workplace
health and safety and EPA regulation then I could make Agrichar, as they
do in the third world, cheaply. However this comes at a cost. When you
do the LCA on these traditional methods, factors like particulate
emissions and greenhouse gas emissions mean that you are probably doing
more harm to society and the environment than you could justify with any
benefit achieved through creating Terra preta. Of course with modern day
engineering we can manage the environmental impacts but this requires an
industrial type processing plant and therefore scale to make the
economics work.

Regards,
Adriana Downie
Best Energies.