[Terrapreta] Florida Sand

Adriana Downie adriana at bestenergies.com.au
Tue Aug 28 01:40:32 EDT 2007

Sean,

Yes we have done some experimental work looking at nitrous oxide
emissions of soils amended with our chars in collaboration with the NSW
DPI. In laboratory incubation experiments with some char types we saw
huge reductions and in others we saw very little effect, these results
should be published by the end of the year. We also have a field trial
where we are measuring emissions. The new IPCC value for nitrous oxide
is 310 times that of CO2 and yes this does overwhelm all other factors
(renewable energy production and carbon sequestration) when we look at
the balances (I haven't looked at how this adds up with earthen mound
set-ups as this is a non-starter in my opinion).

The problem is that the soil emissions are notoriously difficult to
measure and therefore account for. With so many variables to be taken
into consideration, soil type, char type, char manufacture conditions,
crop type, climate, fertiliser regime, tillage, rotations...predicting
the GHG balance of any system is very challenging.

Regards,
Adriana Downie
BEST Energies