[Terrapreta] Florida Sand

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Aug 28 10:12:14 EDT 2007

Hi Adriana,

Yes, I have seen numbers like 296 times and that number 310 from other sources, too.  I stated the most conservative I saw.  I would imagine GHG emissions measurements and accounting for changes in emissions from soil IS quite difficult.  I wonder if the nitrogen "holding" capacity of the soil is not directly tied to addition of charcoal.  I think its possible that it is more likely indirectly related with the charcoal amendments and more directly related to the effect the charcoal has on the soil microflora?  This is why I think it is important to look at changes in soil organic matter content and growth in the population of soil microorganisms as a result of adding charcoal to soil.