[Terrapreta] Sustained Biochar

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Aug 28 11:17:26 EDT 2007

Hi Gerrit,

All plant biomass is things like sugars, cellulose, hemi-cellulose, and lignin, basically carbohydrates.  The ratio of # of atoms of carbon-C, hydrogen-H, and oxygen-O; C:H:O, is very close to ~1:2:1,  as all carbohydrates are made up of multiples of CH2O molecular constructs.

Charcoal on the other hand is 93-95% pure carbon.  It does often times still contain some small amounts (5-7%) of combustible hydrocarbons and carbohydrates.  Usually this is called the volatile matter content of the charcoal.  The C:H:O ratio in charcoal then is something more like ~95:10:5.

So, where did all the H2O part of the CH2O carbohydrates go? ... from within a "sealed" and pressurized vessel?  The hydrogen and oxygen atoms cannot be transmuted into carbon atoms by this chemical process.  The answer is, that the hydrogen an oxygen is all still there.  It would not surprise me, either, if Dr. Antonietti's reactor did not vent some gases (perhaps CO2, H2, CO, N2, CH4, and O2?) upon opening.

The mass of a single carbon-C atom is 12 atomic units, 1 au for a hydrogen-H atom, and 16 au for an oxygen-O atom.  So, in carbohydrates, where ratio of # of atoms, C:H:O is approximately ~1:2:1, then then mass ratio is 12:2:16.  Then carbon-C makes up, at most ~40% (12/(12+2+16) = 0.40) of the total mass of any un-pyrolyzed, raw, biomass.  It is NEVER possible to convert 100% of the mass of any plant material (biomass) entirely into carbon.  40% is the maximum achievable yield of fixed carbon (on a weight/weight basis) from the conversion of any biomass, regardless of the method used for conversion.  Because charcoal is not entirely pure carbon (it contains volatile matter), then the actual maximum yield of charcoal is even less, perhaps 35%.

You might read some of the materials presented on this site my Dr. Michael J. Antal from the University of Hawaii.  He has great experience with conversion of biomass into charcoal and he is also Bio-chemist ro a Bio-chemical engineering professor, so he understands and has written much about this subject (charcoal yield from conversion of biomass).