[Terrapreta] Sustained Biochar

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Tue Aug 28 12:02:38 EDT 2007

Adriana, Terra Preta list members and my local Soil, Plant and Water
list-------Earlier this year Rich and I posted pictures of our
attempt to make charcoal. At that time I did not appreciate the
significant increase of the greenhouse gases over the capture of
carbon in producing charcoal. When I look at common practices in
managing vegetation in the Pacific NW (the area that I am most
familiar with) the scope of societal change to reduce the release of
CO2 or CH4 boggles my mind. Know that I have had open fires my entire
life the same as the society around me.

If the experiment to produce charcoal, that Rich and I accomplished,
released more carbon to the atmosphere than it captured, at least, we
captured some of the carbon. I admit that we could do better and will
capture more of the carbon as we learn how to do that. Do pay as
close attention to other sources releasing CO2 and CH4 also. If we
need to get on our soapboxes to voice objections to societal releases
of greenhouse gases, I am there on that box.

Washington State Department of Natural Resources is about to burn
debris from clearcut logging practices. In our locale, they would be
a good place to begin the change of societal habits towards more
responsible management of carbon. In the process of using charcoal as
a soil amendment for growing more food and the sequestering of
atmospheric carbon we cannot expect the largest producers of
greenhouse gas to alone make a difference. Non-point pollution or
rather very small point sources of pollution cannot be overlooked
either, i.e. individual management of carbon.

If a Douglas fir tree grows to maturity and the stump rot in place,
it has the potential to be alive for close to seven hundred years and
decompose over the next five to six hundred years. It has the
potential to grow to a height of 200 feet. The accumulation of carbon
grows and then is gradually released. If that same tree is used for
lumber then the capture of carbon is released at a much faster rate.
There are very few remaining homes that have any old growth lumber in
them in the one hundred and thirty years of local logging. A good
portion of that carbon has been released.

Small Doug fir trees, as they are called, that don't make it to the
saw mill are currently chipped in tub grinders (a hammer knife
process) which will release carbon (rot) within ten years. Even old
growth Doug fir stumps, trees cut one hundred years ago which are as
solid as rock (so to speak) with pitch with hundreds of years of
carbon storage remaining, when placed in a tub grinder will last as
splinters for only ten years. Then if you consider Doug fir, any aged
tree, cut for firewood then the release of carbon is immediate.
Burning wood in open fires is what this culture is made of. I dare
say that it is an addiction so the resistance to change will be hard
to overcome. It is easy to see the different rates of carbon release.
These releases are management decision. Most people and government do
not appreciate the need for change.

Carbon management is the focal point if we are not going to "crisp
up" the only blue-green globe that we have found in the universe. I
note that my personal universe has change from my hometown as a child
to this blue-green globe in my life. I am a plant person as a
landscaper and manage plant growth.

The concept of Terra Preta has fascinated me for several years now
and have witnessed some very significant changes, I believe, in plant
growth in my garden and some very interesting, isolated, black soil
associated with buried old growth Doug fir roots. These experiences
have led to my acceptance of Terra Preta de Indio and to the
possibility that black earth can occur as a result in other
conditions also.

This is off the topic of managing carbon but then again there may be
other conditions that increased soil fertility in a process similar
to Terra Preta.

As serious as open burning and making mound-fired charcoal are for
the creation of greenhouse gases, the pyrolysing of wood needs, in my
opinion, to be common event for the fields and the gardens. The
process needs to be simple and effective at capturing carbon if used
by the majority of the population to reduce greenhouse gases. An
industrial process for making charcoal will not work for people who
have little money. This likely includes many farmers in the western
culture and what of farmers around the world?-------Larry

P.S. The small retort that I am using captures carbon in the form of
charcoal and wood condensates. With a little more work the remaining
smoke will be burnt. At what point is more carbon captured than
released?