[Terrapreta] Sustained Biochar

Adriana Downie adriana at bestenergies.com.au
Wed Aug 29 19:34:31 EDT 2007

Sean,

As those of you on the list who have visited BEST will know, even on our
small (18L) batch pyrolysis reactor that we use for experimental work we
flare the syngas that is produced.  I think this is the much preferred
option for production of char for research purposes and it doesn't
propagate bad practices that are promoted and therefore replicated
around the world by everyone in there backyard.

Also, I don't think it is worthwhile doing research on char that the
process conditions (heating rate, residence time, final temperture etc)
are not well know, as we have seen huge impacts in agronomic response to
chars made differently. Therefore you need a reactor that it is not only
possible to measure but also control these things. You won't get this in
a mound.

Adriana.