[Terrapreta] Biochar and Bioenergy

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Wed Aug 29 01:32:21 EDT 2007

All,

I've spent the last six working days in Washington DC and in Portland,
Oregon  reviewing bioenergy projects and programs with the US Department of
Energy, US Department of Agriculture, federal and state energy and
agricultural organizations including land grant universities and extension
agents. There was a strong emphasis on sustainability that had not
previously been part of bioenergy programs. At the federal level the
awareness and understanding of biochar was limited. There was interest and
curiosity when the practical applications were described.

I'm pleased to report that there was a much greater awareness of biochar at
the (Western States) regional level, especially among people involved in
soil conservation and agriculture. Returning nutrients and carbon to crops
as biochar was a natural part of our discussion about crop residues,
nutrients, water use, tilth and soil fertility. Some officials commented
that they were surprised at the strong emphasis the invited attendees put in
our recommendations for sustainability and nutrient management when
considering the use of crop residues for energy. It was clear that we were
concerned more about what we should leave in the soil than optimizing the
amount that we should remove.

This is a positive sign that we should have a receptive audience to the use
of biochar however biochar will not find its way into agriculture by itself
and it will take a significant effort to demonstrate its usefulness.

Tom Miles

Western Regional Biomass Feedstock Partnership Workshop, August 27-29, 2007

http://sungrant.oregonstate.edu/biomass_workshop.html