[Terrapreta] Sustained Biochar

Jon C. Frank jon.frank at aglabs.com
Wed Aug 29 17:46:56 EDT 2007

The big fear over unburnt methane is overdone.  If it was so bad then the
creation of all the original terra preta soil in Latin America would have
doomed the earth to destruction.  Obviously that didn't happen--nature coped
and we are all here today.  Nature makes unburnt methane all the time (so do
you and I). So what.  Believe me creation was designed in such a way to
cope.  This is one of those "The sky is falling" fears.

The creators of terra preta did not have all our advanced chemical industry
to utilize the gases the way we can now.  If we can utilize these gases for
energy great--lets use the industrial model and make charcoal available for
soil improvement.

On the other hand many people, especially in developing countries, do not
have access to expensive pyrolysis units but still wish to improve their
soil by making charcoal without capturing the gases.  This is also great.
Lets also encourage the primitive model to improve the soil.  After all
that's what the natives did in Latin America with great success.

In whatever way people can, we should be increasing the carbon content of
soil.  The other aspect that needs to be done at the same time is soil
remineralization with rock powders.  The concept is more fully explained at:

http://www.highbrixgardens.com/restore/remineralization.html

and

http://www.remineralize.org/about/context.html

When the soil is carbonized with charcoal/biochar and remineralized with
rock powders the soil biology greatly increases and the amount of carbons
retained in the soil dramatically increases.  In other words carbon
sequestration significantly enhanced.

The main goal with making charcoal by either process (industrial or
primitive) is soil restoration on a large scale.  When that happens the soil
and plants will automatically clean up the air.  The best response will come
from people getting much more nutrition in their foods and the increase in
health that results from this.

Jon  C. Frank
www.aglabs.com