[Terrapreta] Sustained Biochar

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Aug 30 17:58:45 EDT 2007

Dear Frank

Thanks very much indeed for your comments. They are very helpful in
correcting what I now feel was an erroneous comment about the extent of
methane liberated from biomass rotting on the forest floor.

Frank Teuton wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> It is my understanding that rotting wood on the forest floor releases very
> little methane, unless that forest floor is somewhere where termites do
> their thing...The reason for this is that the forest floor environment is
> pretty much an aerobic one. Fungi do most of the decomposition work in
> rotting wood. They generally require some oxygen to be present, which means
> a methanogenic environment on the forest floor is unlikely.
>
> By contrast, the reason hydroelectricity is less good than is commonly
> thought is because at the bottom of flooded lakes methane generation occurs
> due to the anaerobic conditions there. See
>
> http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7046
>
> for an article on that subject.
>
> Composting similarly releases very little methane, with most of the lost
> carbon going off as CO2. Professional compost scientists are wont to point
> this out in tabulating the advantages of composting compared to landfilling
> suitable waste materials:

The composting process definitely requires oxygen... a compacted pile of
compostables can go putrid if not turned over to oxygenate it.

> http://footprint.mit.edu/waste/food/original/costbenefit.html
>
> Landfills are the major human source of methane:
> http://www.epa.gov/methane/reports/02-landfills.pdf

I haven't read these URL's yet, but composting is somewhat different
from rotting... correct composting targets a C/N ratio of 30:1, while
rotting wood typically has a C/N ratio of about 300 to 400.

> Although methane generation capture is improving, much leakage occurs in
> retrofitted old landfills.
>
> I agree in principle with the idea that charcoal production should be done
> with methane capture for energy if possible, or with flaring. I believe the
> calculation of methane generation by unflared or uncaptured pyrolysis
> suggests we now discourage such practices and move quickly to engineer and
> widely distribute energy capture systems which generate charcoal as a
> sequestration and soil improvement material byproduct. These could be as
> simple as home use stoves or as complex as grid components that generate
> electricity or substantial amounts of heat, etc

Certainly, a good pyrolysis system with capture of pyrolysis gases, for
use or flaring, with thew char going to Terra Preta is better than a
crude or primitive system, but I would suggest that such a crude or
primitive system is superior to a "straight combustion system", thart
results in no removal of carbon from teh active Biosphere.

> The idea that nature can handle even greater increases in atmospheric
> methane under the present circumstances is at best misguided, and at worst
> truly irresponsible.

I would respectfully disagree with you here. Even a crude pyrolysis
system can convert 30% of total carbon to char that is effectively
removed from the active Biosphere. Certainly, there is a 20 year "spoike
in apparent CO2, so that after 20 years, 30% of the original is
effectively still out of the active Biosphere

> Also, I believe it is simply wrong to assert that wood decomposing on a
> forest floor leaves no soil organic matter component.

Agreed... the Lignin component of the wood is very slow to rot, and it
certainly does provide some organic benefit to the soil.

  This is based on
> decades of forest floor observations of various kinds and also on the
> extensive use of chipped wood branches in composting and mulching. Eliot
> Coleman suggests that rotted wood can be used successfully as a peat
> substitute in growing media. I have confidence that such a material would
> have a substantial life span in soil and would contribute to further
> increased plant growth, and thus increased carbon sequestration.

This is very "advanced thinking", and is something also being proposed
by AD Karve... add cellulose to the soil, to support soil life forms.
More specifically, AD proposes sugar additions, but I am guessing that
cellulose additions would accomplish generally the same things as does
AD's sugar additions.

> Researchers here have documented the benefits of additions of chipped
> branch
> wood to soils in terms of producing long term humus.
>
> http://www.idrc.ca/uploads/user-S/10753298271Ramial_chipped_wood_Caron_94.doc.

Ramial wood is best supported by using "young wood" with a high
percentage of bark.Older wood, or debarked wood, or soft woods are
apparently very much inferior to shipped hardwood branches less than 2"
diameter.

> I don't know where you got your information about wood decomposition on
> the forest floor and methane generation/lack of soil organic matter
> contribution, but it looks flat wrong to me.

I don't recall where I got it, but until I can get some clarification, I
would accept that it is probably wrong. (25% methane from forest floor
decomposition of biomass.)

Thanks again for your helpful comments. I look forward to reading your
referenced URL's.

Best wishes,

Kevin