[Terrapreta] Sustained Biochar

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Wed Aug 29 22:46:11 EDT 2007

Hello Adriana

While I respect the high standards you and Best technologies maintain
on not contributing to global warming the relative contribution from
thousands of mound charcoal piles,  a technology which has not
changed for a few thousand years, cumulatively, does not match the
methane contributed to the atmosphere by permafrost destruction from
petroleum development in the Prudhoe Bay oil field alone.

I had the privilege of meeting Dr Tim Colette, a scientist with US
geological service who is working on commercialization of methane
hydrates locked in permafrost of the circumpolar north. He made a
study of the actual amount of methane released to the atmosphere by
permafrost destruction by hot oil moving up drill stems through the
frozen ground in the giant Prudhoe Bay, Alaska oil field. His
calculations show that the methane released from this source only,
an oil field perhaps 15 by 20 miles is 23 times the  total energy
value of the all oil taken from the field.  So for every 100 million
barrels of oil taken from Prudhoe to feed our energy needs in the USA
2.3 billion barrels  oil equivalent of methane have been released to
the atmosphere.

We need our hands on experience with charcoal in soil and the
environmental cost of our small scale studies  is minute relative to
the real scale of the problem. With global population at full tilt -
6 billion and growing , and near universal demand for economic
growth, with positive feedback global warming mechanisms at play ,
survivalism or primitivism as a study topic at least is a rational
alternative to your approach the industrial - technological fix. As
we finish this fossil fuel feast of the last 100 years and as we
reach our  global population limits  created by this past 10,000
years of agriculture our numbers will return to our sustainable
level , most likely something less than 1 billion souls.

Our mission needs to be how we might humanely return this earth to
sustainable levels of human habitation.

I do value your insight on this and  follow your comments on what to
expect from experimenting with charcoal in soil very closely. I am in
the midst of my first year of a 2 year project at my farm and next
year starting a project in closed canopy conifer forest. You do need
to let us charco-anarchists loose. You never know what we might come
up with.

Best Wishes

Rich Haard
Bellingham, Washington

By the way here is a link to a DVD that has been released recently by
some unaffiliated people in eastern US who foresee our future in a
return to our pre-agricultural roots while bringing with us wisdom
learned in this technological era.

' What a Way to Go'  'Life at the end of empire'  Tim Bennett,
director, Sally Erickson, Producer

http://whatawaytogomovie.com/