[Terrapreta] "Living" Biochar

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Aug 31 00:45:21 EDT 2007

Hi Kevin,

Have you ever heard of a buffering agent?  Buffering agents are part of lots of living biological systems.  The bicarbonate ion (HC03-) is a buffering agent.  It can absorb or release hydrogen-H, thus being able to change the pH of solutions containing it.  This is a very common chemical reaction inside living systems, both plant and animal.  It comes from and still exists in very primitive animals and plants, even single cells.  There are other catalytic reactions that carbon molecule are related to, also.  All that a bicarbonate ion is is some carbon, some water, and oxygen.  Carbon and water alone are sometimes even equated with life.  Because most all living things we know about on Earth, pretty much need both.

I think carbon in soil is a "living" part of a bigger living "biosphere".  It can just have a very long residence time in the soil, whereas the other carbon in living systems is going to move around within the biosphere.