[Terrapreta] Sustained Biochar

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Aug 31 12:52:55 EDT 2007

Hi Jeff,

Off base?  Greenhouse gases (GHGs) most predominantly CO2 are in fact causing Global Climatic Changes;  these include Global Warming (GW) and the potential sinking of the northen hemisphere back into a new Ice Age, BOTH!  Human activity has increased the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere by nearly double from what it was in pre-industrial times.  The plants and the oceans do absorb enormous amounts of CO2, but they are not keeping up with the increases humans are putting into the atmosphere.  The concentrations of GHG are steadily going up, up, up.  Nature is not stabilizing them.  The ocean level is increasing, measurably.
There is profound evidence for the huge changes.  Nine of the ten hottest years on record occurred in the last 11 years (recent heating worldwide, huh? a.k.a. Global Warming).   There intensity changes in weather; like the deep droughts in Africa and the huge mega-hurricanes, like Katrina and Dean (Global Climatic Change).

Positive feedback cycle: the oceans absorb the increased heat.  As they do this, they will begin to release more CO2 +> which will increase the heat.

Positive feedback cycle: the Arctic/and Antarctic ice is melting on the outer edges that are closer to the equator.  The melting opens up more ocean water,  Ice reflects heat, but ocean water absorbs heat.  As the ice continues to melt, it will melt faster.

Positive feedback cycle:  the Arctic northern part of Canada, Alaska, and Asia all contain permafrost,  which contains enormous amounts of frozen Methane-hydrate.  As the permafrost melts, it releases lots of methane, which increase the GHG effect and causes more permafrost to melt.

These are ALL well documented as occurring now.  Human caused Global Climate Changes.

Take a look as these pages and learn some more about GHGs, GW, and Anthropogenically "Forced" Global Climatic Change, Thomas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gases<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gases>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methane<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methane>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide>