[Terrapreta] "Living" Biochar

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Aug 31 13:04:23 EDT 2007

Kevin,

"Ugly bags of mostly water."  ... You're right, biochar is not alive, per se.  But, once put into the soil, it is very intimately involved in the lives of truly living thing in the soil.  It is an active part (at least a chemically active participant, or a catalyst) in that soil part of the biosphere.  I'm just including biochar in the biosphere, whereas you claim it is removed.  Do you think the topsoil is part of the biosphere?