[Terrapreta] converting coal-fines into activated charcoal

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Mon Dec 3 12:10:37 EST 2007

Several previous messages have talked about using coal as a source of
carbon/char for soil amendment....

Coal is much denser than charcoal, thus doesn't have the properties
we prize in char or charcoal.

However, if coal could be 'expanded' or 'popped', then it could serve
the same purpose.  Thus I went looking for applications that try to
convert coal fines into a form of activated charcoal.  Afterall,
activated charcoal is a very high end product, and thus its selling
price could justify a process.

I found one excellent article on such a process.  It has a ton of
information on charcoal itself too...

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?IA=WO2006071859&DISPLAY=DESC

Gerrit