[Terrapreta] Tree planting -- a bit more

Jim Joyner jimstoy at dtccom.net
Tue Dec 4 13:37:11 EST 2007

Yeah, and remember when you were in about the 4th grade and the teacher
showed that chart where the moisture from the ocean blows inland, rains,
evaporates, rains and moves back out to the ocean. Well, it don't work
that -- it's a lot more complicated. When the trees aren't there, the
moisture stops, it doesn't rain.
Worse still, when it doesn't rain, farmers use water out of the aquifers
to irrigate (especially out west). It's always been thought that if we
stop taking the water out, well, the aquifers will recharge. Nope, often
when they get low enough, they won't recharge, ever.

We keep hearing  more and more about desalination. Good luck. Yes, at
great expense, we can take fresh water out of the ocean to drink and
then turn it into waste water. But it won't help to grow food. It won't
make it rain.

Trees.

Jim