[Terrapreta] Tree planting -- a bit more

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 13:42:25 EST 2007

David,

You know how much of a died-in-the-wool tree-hugger I am.
But I've gotta say this sounds overly simplistic to me. From
what I know about terrestrial ecology, there is a constant tension
between natural grassland and natural forest. Sometimes it's one,
sometimes the other, sometimes it's a mixed system with lots of edge
(as in the Brazilian cerrado). Once, redwoods grew all the way
east to the Mississippi. The great map is complex and shifting
and the lines on it seem to be drawn mostly by climate.

There is a great perfection and excellence within each of the
systems and I know of nothing that suggests that forests are the
pinnacle of ecological aspiration. I spent a lot of my life in the
American Midwest. The tall grass prairie has a magnificence that
cannot be denied.

And, by the way, the Amazon forest is no longer considered as
"the lungs of the earth" in the old sense of the metaphor -- referring
to inhaling CO2 and exhaling oxygen -- which was quite anthropocentric.
Forests are coming to be better understood in terms of their larger
ecosystem functions such as climate regulation and, as you point out,
erosion prevention and water filtration.

hugs,

lou

http://lougold.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/visionshare/sets/