[Terrapreta] C02 Tree Capture – how much carbon dioxide do trees really capture?

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 08:14:05 EST 2007

Hmmm. Did ya watch the video? It clearly states that soil and water are the
main limiting factors. Therefore, if you want to have plants and trees
pulling CO2 out of the atmosphere, you better work on soil fertility and its
ability to retain water. Perfect tasks for TP.

I don't consider myself as a spokesperson for the tree-huggers. Actually,
across the past year, Terra Preta maybe transforming my awareness and
ideology more toward conscious farming. The main inspiration of TP for me is
that the El Dorado story says that once there was a civilization of high
density populations living in harmony with nature and  forests. This is very
contrary to the history of western civilization which advanced via
deforestation. Indeed, it is so different that it might constitute a vitally
necessary paradigm shift and carry us from the issues of scarcity into the
joys of abundance. I don't know that this is true. I suspect it might be. I
want to find out.

I believe strongly that we need to stop logging any more intact primary
forests. A complete halt is unlikely. All steps of avoided or reduced
deforestation need to be rewarded. Carbon credits are a good way.

As far as as intelligent forest management is concerned, I recommend that
you check out the Menominee Tribal Forest which has won many awards and
recognitions. http://www.menominee.edu/sdi/RAndEMission.html

hugs,

lou

http://lougold.blogspot.com/