[Terrapreta] C02 Tree Capture – how much carbon dioxide do trees really capture?

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed Dec 5 09:28:03 EST 2007

Dear Loulou gold wrote:
> Oooops, I missed the "wood for charcoal question". This one is complex
> and there is no way I can do it justice.
Very true. The corollary of which is that you do "wood for charcoal" a
great injustice when you practically advocate that trees not be used for
charcoal and TP.
> Here are just a few considerations...
>
> 1. Again, it is most paramount that primary forests are not cut for
> this purpose.
What do you mean by a "primary forest?" Is a conversion cut of an
existing stand permissable to Tree Huggers?

> 2. Here in Brazil, eucalyptus is grown for charcoal on a huge scale.
> It even fuels the iron foundries. This is what you do when there is no
> cheap coal available. I am told told that there are better and worse
> ways to do it. Cutting primary forests for the first round of charcoal
> and replacing them with eucalyptus plantations is a bad way. Vast
> eucalyptus monocultures are a bad way. Placing eucalyptus stands as
> one of several crops in a diversified farming operation is a good way.
What are your thoughts on "patchwork monoculture?"

> 3. I'm very uneasy about the new ethanol from cellulose approach with
> genetically modified trees but I'm not qualified to have a real
> intelligent judgment here.
OK... this is the TP list. Lets stick to issues relating to getting C
from Trees for TP.

> 4, I would vastly prefer to see wood wastes go into producing char for
> the soil instead of for fuel or co-generation.
This is the TP list. We are not talking about char for fuel, but rather,
char for TP.

> OK, that's a start -- barely scratches the surface I'm sure.
So, how does the Tree Hugger fit with tree wood being used for TP?

Kevin