[Terrapreta] Article link

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 05:36:43 EST 2007

WOW, maybe we need to drop the term "Tree Hugger"?
I, for one, didn't realize how much baggage it carries.

I think we need better understanding to be able support all the tree
planting schemes that
are coming forth as a response to CO2. I don't think the data are in. I
suspect there will be a significant role but not a panacea.

BUT, we are pretty clear about the ecosystem functions of a forest --
temperate zones included. It seems they build a big storage of carbon in
trees and soil, they stabilize at a certain point where they pull down
little additional CO2 but play a more critical role in regulating climate
through the moisture cycle. As deforestation expands there is often more
drought and the remaining forest is stressed in many ways that cause it to
be more fire prone. When it burns, the carbon accumulated across years (or
centuries) is released dramatically and catastrophically. This is the
positive feedback loop that most concerns the climate modelers.

Asking how much CO2 is retrieved or contributed by temperate forests in the
present moment largely misses the larger role of forests in regulating
climate through the moisture cycle, etc.

(tree) hugs,

lou

http://lougold.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/visionshare/sets/