[Terrapreta] 200 tons per day Dynamotive plant in Missouri

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Dec 7 17:31:31 EST 2007

Hi Tom,

I know the process can be "tilted" as you describe it.  What is DYNAMOTIVE'S plan?  They claim ...

"Three products are produced: BioOil (60-75% by weight), char (15-20% wt.) and non-condensable gases (10-20% wt.). Yields vary depending on the feedstock composition. BioOil and char are commercial products and non-condensable gases are recycled and supply a major part of the energy required by the process. No waste is produced in the Dynamotive process."

So, they are turning back some of the energy content in those products back into the process.  They also do not mention external inputs of energy either.  I wonder what those are?  There is a product they have, too, called intermediate Bio-oil, which has the char added back into the oil to increase its BTU content.  The energy balances and energy fluxes in pyrolysis are quite complex and to be honest I really do not see yet how char can be made economically yet?