[Terrapreta] Catalyst: Carbon Bigfoot

Duane Pendergast still.thinking at computare.org
Sat Dec 8 11:30:36 EST 2007

Morning Sean,

My response to you was totally sincere. After 20 years trying to follow the
climate issue, I'm becoming more and more skeptical about the dire claims
made in the name of climate change due to greenhouse gas emissions.

I was just trying to point out, that if terra preta lives up to expectations
on this site, there is potential for excess removal of CO2 from the
atmosphere. Danny Day has suggested that we are seeing the "stumbling steps
of a brand new species evolved to stabilize this recurring imbalance" with
reference to the drastic cycling between ice ages seen in the long term
climate change record. He sees the burgeoning human population, including
some three billion now impoverished farmers, as key to planetary survival
and prosperity. The ultimate outcome of successful demonstration of terra
preta benefits could thus be an incentive to geo-agricultural engineering on
a massive scale. That vision will be self limiting if plant growth is
suppressed by a shortage of atmospheric carbon dioxide. A next logical step
for humanity could be to continue to transfer carbon from fossil fuel into
the soil.

There is plenty of scope for climate change ballyhoo at the UNFCCC meeting
in Bali and in the media. Kevin Chisholm's gentle suggestion in his response
to your post that the list focus on demonstrating the efficacy of the terra
preta concept has considerable merit.

Duane