[Terrapreta] Catalyst: Carbon Bigfoot

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 13:48:40 EST 2007

Hi Duane,

I am seeing the logic of your perspective. I believe that yours is one of
the valid considerations. I also believe that terra preta somehow carries
the seeds of a new awareness that is now emerging and offering the
opportunity to transcend the dilemmas.
This new awareness is based on the notion of a reciprocal harmony between
large populations and the earth. At first, the new consciousness of
reciprocity will have to sit  (uncomfortably)  with the past consciousness
of extraction. This generates tension that will stimulate further
innovation, etc. Basically, we are entering a process of building a carbon
economy and ecology. I for one do not know what role fossil fuels will play
in the longer-term future but right now they are going to continue as a
significant factor.

The only thing that I question is your assertion that we must continue to
generate CO2 in order to feed the plants. It seems to me that there is a
huge reservoir already available. Do you know of any studies or models that
might suggest when CO2 will "peak" and require replacement inputs, perhaps
from fossil fuels?

hugs,

lou

http://lougold.blogspot.com/