[Terrapreta] 200 tons per day Dynamotive plant in Missouri

MMBTUPR at aol.com MMBTUPR at aol.com
Sat Dec 8 13:38:46 CST 2007

           from      Lewis L Smith

In conventional economics, the profit function [ in simplified form ] may
written as follows, where R is revenue, x is the volume of product and C is cost
of product.   >

π (x) =   R (x) — C (x)

Taking the first derivative of π with respect to x, we have >

dπ/dx = dR/dx — dC/dx

Now at the optimal point in a competitive market, that of maximum profit or
minimum loss, we have   >

0 = dR/dx — dC/dx

Rearranging >

dR/dx = dC/dx

In plain English, incremental revenue equals incremental cost. The optimal
volume of output is the point at which the above is true.

Sean's point about distinguishing   between outputs of a joint-products
process and the "slate" of products for sale is a good one. With many bio and/or
chemical processes, the last stage in the manufacturing process which produces a
variety of intermediate products jointly is not necessarily the final stage
of processing. Additional processing stages applicable to individual products
may occur. Needless to say, these latter process are the principle source of
the product-specific costs which I mentioned in my post.

Examples are sugar, ethanol and/or molasses from the crystals which the
centrifuge separates out of the cane juice. And the subsequent products which may
be made from each of them. Also the various products which may be obtained from
glycerol produced as a byproduct of making biodiesel.

[ Incidentally disposing of glycerol at acceptable prices is a big problem
for some biodiesel producers in the States. ]

A copy of 'Output pricing for biomass energy projects" will go out Monday to
Sean.

Cordially. #

Check out AOL's list of
2007's hottest products.