[Terrapreta] the most terrifying video...climate change

MMBTUPR at aol.com MMBTUPR at aol.com
Sat Dec 8 14:55:39 CST 2007

          from   Lewis L Smith

This discussion brings up a point which historically most human beings have
ignored, including most scientists.

There is a long-standing tendency going back to the discovery in the 18th
Century that the heights of French soldiers followed the "normal" curve, to think
of possible variations from best estimates, mathematical expectations, means,
medians, parameter estimates and such like as symmetrical or semi-symmetrical
and at best to be open to alternatives with regard to alternate portrayals of
the distribution of these variations. For instance, the Gaussian [ normal ]
and Pareto Levy for the changes in stock prices.

Or we may tolerate mild asymmetries such as the Log normal [ for high incomes
] , the Poisson [ for the expected lives of wooden utility poles ] or the
Wiebull [ for wind speed at a given height and location over time ].

But many times in real life, strong asymmetry is the rule. For example,
people are often much more adverse to monetary losses than they are attracted by
economic gains. And if we could describe Murphy's Law with a distribution, it
would have a very long tail in the wrong direction, much longer than that of the
Poisson !   Finally, here with GW, we are dealing with perhaps the most
monstrous asymmetry of them all.

Yet emotionally, mathematically and statistically, we are not really equipped
to deal with such situations.

Cordially. ###

Check out AOL's list of
2007's hottest products.