[Terrapreta] Catalyst: Carbon Bigfoot

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sat Dec 8 15:07:17 EST 2007

Dear Lou

lou gold wrote:
> Hi Duane,
>
> del...
> The only thing that I question is your assertion that we must continue
> to generate CO2 in order to feed the plants. It seems to me that there
> is a huge reservoir already available. Do you know of any studies or
> models that might suggest when CO2 will "peak" and require replacement
> inputs, perhaps from fossil fuels?
The Greenhouse Industry has done alot of work, and research papers, on
the benefits and economics of CO2 to greenhouse atmospheres in teh
winter, when greenhouse ventilation is low. The plant canopy strips the
CO2 from teh closed atmosphere very quickly. Commonly propane or natural
gas is burned, with products of combustion vented into teh growing
space, to enrich CO2 to enhance plant growth.

A Google search for "greenhouse CO2 Enrichment" gives 21 hits; with no
quotes, you get about 340,000 hits.

Best wishes,

Kevin