[Terrapreta] torrefaction vs. carbonization for fuel

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Sat Dec 8 16:36:24 CST 2007

This discussion of torrefaction vs. carbonization has generated a
question in my mind...

Torrefied wood is apparently also called "grey charcoal".  If it
takes only half of the energy to produce this grey charcoal, why
don't we hear of villagers producing it?  Is it a technological
problem (which we should be able to provide) or is there a special
advantage for cooking in burning "black charcoal", other than the
charcoal taste,  the higher temperatures that might be achieved by
charcoal?

Why take the extra step from grey to black charcoal?  Certainly, we
are not making any overall gain in energy by doing so.

Gerrit