[Terrapreta] torrefaction vs. Carbonization --------- Char Hydrophobic / Hydrophilic characters

MMBTUPR at aol.com MMBTUPR at aol.com
Sun Dec 9 07:10:05 CST 2007

          from         Lewis L Smith

While an economist, not a soil person, I have a lot of agro in my background
and for four years, undertook a personal R and D effort to develop a
management system for raising freshwater shrimp in the mountains of PR, similar to what
has been done in Panamá. It was successful, in the sense that I developed the
system. It was not, in the sense that we got hit with a 15 month drought,
which discouraged me from commercializing !

This project involved major soil questions of two kinds — the right soil for
berm vegetative cover and the maintenance of shrimp-healthy pond-bottom
conditions. So I have been able to follow much of the discussion of terra preta.

[ Incidentally the aluminum shovels used in New England for taking snow off
roofs, are excellent for getting samples of bottom mud in a shrimp pond ! ]

Just wanted to say that Edward's "big difference" post was one of the
clearest and most concise which I have read on this contentious subject.

Cordially.   ###

Check out AOL's list of
2007's hottest products.