[Terrapreta] Charcoal costs

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sat Dec 8 22:03:52 CST 2007

Dear Nikolaus

I don't know, but I would pose for your consideration that a major
benefit of char is its potential to increase the Cation Exchange
Capacity of the soil, but that Torrified Wood has the Cation Exchange
sites tied up, and that it would not work a effectively as char.

Another way of looking at it would be that "Activated Charcoal is more
reactive than charcoal that is not activated, but even "regular"
charcoal is more active than Torrified wood."

Does this make sense?

Best wishes,

Kevin