[Terrapreta] Charcoal costs

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sun Dec 9 21:28:21 CST 2007

S,K,J,N and Tom

Jim and I have been discussing CEC and soil nutrition and charcoal for
a few rounds offline and the apparent anomaly of my data not showing a
boost in CEC with charcoal addition. Rereading Steiner etal tonight I
have concluded my  first year data is consistent with first year
results obtained by Steiner in Brazil.

It seems that charcoal addition to soil does not make terra preta and
that terra preta itself is the product of a long term biological,
chemical and physical process. The process we used to make our
charcoal 2 was identical to the local production method where Steiner
obtained his charcoal.

Jim or anyone do you have a citation that supports your statement in
an earlier posting

Jim Joyner wrote:
> The CEC increases with compost and charcoal (in Brazil)  . . . well,
> of course it does.

Here are some quotes from Steiner et al (2007) and my comments that
might be interesting for this topic of CEC and charcoal in soil.

Paper cited: Long term effects of manure, charcoal and mineral
fertilization on crop production and fertility on a highly weathered
central Amazon upland soil

abstract here<  >

from Steiner et al et al p 2

Terra Preta research has shown that oxidation on the edges of the
aromatic backbone and adsorbtion of other OM to charcoal is
responsible for the increased CEC, although the proportion of these
two processed is unclear (Liang et al 2006)

cited  Liang B et al Black Carbon increases cation exchange capacity
in soils Soil Sci Soc Am J 70:1719-1730

and from page 12 - ' the period of this study might have not been
sufficient for oxidation'

'and SOM was only effective at increasing CEC levels above pH 5.5
which is consistent with the blockage of exchange sites by either Al
or Fe at lower values ---- In our study only plots fertilized with CM
had pH values higher than 5.5 and increased CEC. '

His charcoal was derived from a secondary producer and manually
crushed ( not special charcoal and made with a technique identical to
our charcoal 2 = heap burn)

Definitions of his treatment blocks

C  control
L  leaf litter
LB   simulated slash and burn (burned litter)
F    inorganic fertilizer
CM  chicken manure
2CO  compost
2CC   charcoal
2CO+F  compost +F
2CC+F   charcoal + F
CC+CO  Charcoal + Compost
2CC+CO   Charcoal + Compost
2CC+CO+F Charcoal + Compost + Fertilizer
2CCp charcoal pieces

 From Table 2 page 11 of Steiner et al soil Chemical Properties after
first harvest (CEC only)

(cmole+kg-1)

Steiner et al  after first harvest values first -  then my own after
first harvest (charcoal 1 then charcoal 2)
C			1.61	         9.85
L			1.52
LB			1.73
F			2.16		12.05
CM			12.55
2CO			1.94		11.9
2CC			1.80		10.4,11.9
2CO+F		2.45		12.3
2CC+F		1.94		10.1, 11.25
2CC+CO 		1.8		10.95, 12.3
2CC+CO+F	2.11		12.7, 12
2CCp		1.65

Interesting pattern here. Charcoal 1 showed the best indication of
enhanced growth above ground and roots. I might speculate the lower
CEC values represent greater nutrient utilization. Additionally, CEC
may be incidental to the role of charcoal in soil. We should include
also biological factors in our considerations.

In terms of biological contribution to beneficial effects of charcoal
additions Steiner et al concluded

The conditions of ADE (Amazon Dark Earth) are ideal for maximum
biological N2 fixtation. About 77% of the ADE sampled showed positive
incidence of Aspospirillum sp. compared to only 10 % of the
Ferralsols. Charcoal provides a good habitat for the propagation of
useful microorganisms such as free living nitrogen fixing bacteria and
mycorrhizal fungi. Ogawa holds the charcoals weak alkalinity, porosity
and ability to retain water and air responsible for stimulation of
microbes (citations excluded).

Steiner et al did conclude that

'Charcoal proved to sustain fertility if an additional nutrient source
was given. Even though significantly more nutrients were exported from
the charcoal plots (with higher yields) the available nutrient
contents of the soil did not decrease in comparison to just mineral
fertilized plots'

In addition he demonstrated highest mineral losses in plots treated
with Chicken Manure, followed by compost, then litter and control.

Rich H