[Terrapreta] the most terrifying video...climate change

code suidae codesuidae at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 18:07:00 EST 2007

On Dec 8, 2007 1:38 PM, Kevin Chisholm <kchisholm at ca.inter.net> wrote:
> By proceeding from truth and fact, we can develop a plan of action
> that will work. Why risk Life as we now know it on a guess by Consensus
> Science that Man's GHG emissions are causing GW?

Recent studies by the IPCC suggest that global action to reduce our
emissions would have only a small effect on short term GWP and would
have a net positive effect over longer terms (IIRC). That is, they
think that the financial impact of cutting carbon emissions will be
positive, overall.

While those changes are happening climate science will continue,
exploring alternative models and monitoring progress. If there appears
to be no effect then presumably someone will eventually figure out
why. Taking action on human-produced emissions won't effect this (it
might be positive, as less time will be spent by researchers trying to
convince people that their current theory is correct).

Our civilization is currently built almost entirely on fossil fuel
availability. As we deplete these resources at exponentially
increasing rates we will need to move to renewable resources anyway.
Doing so sooner rather than later is a good thing, as it helps to
avoid problems that might occur if we were to run into shortages in
fossil supples while trying to develop renewable sources. It also has
many potential environmental advantages as we can more quickly get
away from environmentally damaging activities that are associated with
fossil fuel use (provided we don't choose renewable sources that
create similar levels of damage).

So, my point is this. We should not wait and see. We should take
action now to quickly reduce human-caused sources of GHG's and to
reverse destruction of what we believe to be environmentally important
ecosystems. If it turns out we're wrong, that's ok, because the
economic impact should not be bad, doing it may help to free up some
researchers to explore other related issues and we're doing something
we need to do at some point in the near future anyway.

Dave K
--
"Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know." -
M. King Hubbert