[Terrapreta] Pottery Shards and CEC

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Dec 11 09:27:12 CST 2007

Hi Kevin,

I don't believe that charcoal amendments to soil alone can increase CEC, but I am not positive.  I think the increase in CEC in charcoal amended soils is attributed to the ability of the charcoal to foster improved growth of the microorganism populations in the soil, which increases the organic matter content of the soil, which then increases the CEC.

You are right about clays, though.  They can increase the CEC of soil, too, but by varying degrees, depending upon the type of clay.  The clay does not need to be "fired" to do this, either.