[Terrapreta] Pottery Shards

Barry at Biochar barry.batchelor at biochar.net
Fri Dec 21 17:03:02 CST 2007

Hi All

My personal thinking is they used the large pots to mix up the biochar into bacterial brew's before adding it to the soil or compost pits. It might be one of the reasons why they would have had so many pots out in the food growing areas? The pots could have also been used to hold the fresh char which was bashed into finer amounts then soaked. It's just an idea.

I'm also wondering if the pottery shards were added to keep the soil in place during the Amazon wet season, I'm sure they didn't want their new top soil washed away.

One question on Terra Petra, Was the original light coloured Amazon top soil found to be mixed through the black Terra Petra?

Regards

Barry Batchelor