[Terrapreta] a braoder theory of torrefaction and TP

Duane Pendergast still.thinking at computare.org
Tue Dec 11 11:03:09 CST 2007

Sean,

I'm wondering if it may be necessary to rethink landfill type concepts and
move toward direct production of char from such waste products in the long
run. Perhaps we need to avoid waste management and other practices which
generate excessive methane.  I would be leery of the schemes being discussed
on the list right now with respect to simple burial of organic material for
similar reasons. I suppose even terra preta production involving a mix of
char and organic materials might produce some methane, but I'm not sure how
the micro-organisms break the organic material down to ultimate CO2. Perhaps
that is another point to ponder.

Of course there are already landfills in existence and perhaps in the
interim, emission reduction credits for them could be allowed.

To repeat, I'm suggesting that practices such as the burying of organic
waste in landfills might need to be phased out in favor of char production.
That would be a way of capturing the hydrogen component of organic material
and extracting some energy. The only credit allowed would be for the char
component. That would move us toward a carbon negative system, rather than
carbon neutral that comes from burning or producing methane subsequently
burned from waste.

.

The char production - emission reduction credit - approach would avoid
providing an incentive to those who might perversely seek to simply continue
to harvest more emission reduction credits via the development of processes
that create methane for the sake of harvesting emission reduction credits.

The establishment of emission reduction credits is a complicated business
and I doubt I've made my views perfectly clear, but I do have to go to
another task for a while.

Thanks,

Duane