[Terrapreta] CEC and future experimentation

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Tue Dec 11 12:37:23 CST 2007

Yes,

Some time ago this is what me excited about John Flottvik's portable
pyrolyser system. Combined with a tub grinder this system could
pyrolyse forest waste as is piled up prior to burning . At  the time
he claimed his 15 tpd pilot plant was not economically feasible but
the concept was very interesting. Especially where secondary power
transmission lines were accessible and a system of temporary power
insertion to the grid could be worked out. Toms work seems to be a
continuation of this conceptualization.

This option has not made it to commercial application but the idea is
still there. I think conversion on the site cancels out the cost of
trucking wood to a centralized plant. But and a big but in this era of
increasing energy costs the value of this char as a powdered
substitute for oil in a boiler would find a market for char rather
than distributing in the forest.

Sequestering the carbon is positive for sure but unless a forest
practice can be developed that can be demonstrated to have positive
effect you might as well bury the stuff in a pit.

Distributing in the forest is an interesting option to me. Where my
home is located, a closed canopy mixed conifer forest the soils are
gravel and cobbles. I am interested to come up with an experimental
design for a series of plots in the understory of this tract. I have
selected some places where the dense over-story prevented understory
vegetation where charcoal can be worked into the liter layer easily.

Here is an image at my homesite, forest site with Larry loading some
logs, mostly windfalls for delivery to the sawyer to make siding and
decking for my home. This shows anyway my proposed research platform.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/2099256167/

There has been foraging in the literature on my part for ideas on an
approach to this but it might be interesting to put the idea out here.
With my limited finances and lots of time what would be parameters to
monitor in such a study, what suggestions for study design, and how to
measure the effect if any of charcoal additions to a forest understory.

Initially I desired to look at nitrogen fixation in these soils but
have not been to come up with biological screening or chemical
analysis tests within my means. I think a simple lysimeter could
collect natural seepage but unfortuntely my reading of the literature
indicates simple and cheap nitrate tests are unreliable. Monitoring
CEC and impact on soil nutrition might be another approach to this
study. In addition there needs to be open source information about
making charcoal hydrophillic other than long term weathering. Larry
seems to have accomplished this but we are not quite sure what he did
that made this happen.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/1439480187/in/set-72157594444994347/

I am interested to receive suggestions and articles to read or
collaborators to work with towards an experimental approach to
demonstrate carbon sequestration in PNW forests is a beneficial
practice. I would like to have a project underway in spring.

Rich H