[Terrapreta] The economics of soil enhancement

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 11 17:23:37 CST 2007

Hi Duane, Lou, Sean

I return to my corn protocol for the production of biochar.  Converting corn stover into biochar manure is a natural adjunct to pure corn production that has been missing in corn production from the beginning.

Ripe corn stover by itself is a farm disaster and is resolved only with difficulty.  In fact, corn would be every farmer's first crop choice where moisture is sufficient if the problem of stover were resolved.  Otherwise it starts of by been far too hard on the soil in terms of nutrient depletion.

Biochar actually returns the nutrients and even more importantly, likely grabs and holds other nutrients that would be lost.

I anticipate that a biochar manure cycle is not unlike the cattle manure cycle and will both support higher corn production in terms of land usage but also support higher per acre yield of sustainable production.  I anticipate that corn biochar culture will now become the dominant form of agriculture globally because of this  soil building quality.

I obviously consider the issue of carbon credits to be a red herring, but it can help jump start the global conversion.  Once farmers have the right tools, we will never look back.

Can you imagine the impact in Indonesia and the Philippines were tropical soils can be only cropped once every fifteen years with slash and burn?