[Terrapreta] char vs. diatomaceous earth

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 12 22:53:09 CST 2007

If the value of char is mainly as a habitat for micro-organisms,
would another multi-porous material like diatomaceous earth have the
same effect?

In looking for a cheap source of charcoal fines, I checked out the
local distillery - Labatt's.  I had understood that charcoal is what
was used to filter alcohol, just as it is used for filtering corn
starch.

However, I discovered that Labatt's uses diatomaceous earth instead
in all their beer breweries.  Their waste management people recycle
it through compost.  I am guessing that the purpose of the composting
process is to 'clean up' all the gunk collected in its pores, since
this waste can become rather malodorous.  If added directly to the
soil and incorporated, the smell should be minimal.

However, I can't find any research related to the effects of using it
as such.

Anybody have any experience using it as such (as opposed to its use
as an organic pesticide)?

If I can get some of it, I'll do a comparison test with char

Gerrit