[Terrapreta] challenges for the future of TP

MMBTUPR at aol.com MMBTUPR at aol.com
Thu Dec 13 06:08:02 CST 2007

          from          Lewis L Smith

Many thanks to Michael for his "stream of consciousness" comments on the NSW
conference.

The one phrase which leapt of the page at me was this >

"The first revelation for me at the conference was this – there are massive
variations, in the chemical and structural composition of char. This is the
first key in understanding the need for large scale trials and research."

This is analogous to the results of my own experience with Dr. Alexander's
"energy cane/energy grass" project, with the PR cane industry, with shrimp
farming and with searching the Web for gasification processes suitable for Puerto
Rico.

The world of bioenergy is not like that of manufacturing, with its "six
sigma" control concepts and specifications stated in ten-thousandth of an inch. The
world of bioenergy is one of endless variation, with conditions varying from
one part of a field to another, with feedstock characteristics varying from
one load to another, with reactor parameters varying continually during a run
and so forth. Moreover, in gasification and pyrolysis, for example, there seem
to be an endless variety of configurations for the basic process and for
product clean up. For example, when I last looked, there were over 250 firms in the
World offering advice and/or products for biogas cleanup !

It sounds to me that at this point, terra preta is ripe for some massive
random block experiments.

The first task would be to sort out just what do we mean by a "variety" of
terra preta and what are the significant parameters for evaluating these. Words
like "agrichar", "char" and "charcoal" need to be given a meaning which can be
defined by analytical methods, much as petroleum products are defined in the
pre-retail markets, not by words such as "premium" and "regular", but by a
list of ASTM specifications and the corresponding test methods to verify each
one.

Then we need to rank these varieties in terms of various desired incomes and
then, establish a "best practice" management system for producing each of the
desired varieties.

Cordially. ###