[Terrapreta] Fwd: Terra Preta and Ants

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 23:08:04 CST 2007

Fascinating observations thanks everyone.

So wet char also discourages ants

A company called Barmac here, sells activated charcoal to green-keepers to
adsorb/absorb pesticide and fertiliser spills.
It sells for about $AUD 150.oo (US $125?) retail.
I vaguely remember them suggesting making a slurry out of it to apply it.

I can understand rice hull char as an insectice/repellent as it contains
masses of silica.

Would any of the oils or resins in the char repel ants?
It may depend on the type of char you are using.
Certainly peppermint Essential Oil is an excellent ant repellant.
Michael the Archangel

"You can fix all the world's problems in a garden. . . .
Most people don't know that"
FROM
http://www.blog.thesietch.org/wp-content/permaculture.swf