[Terrapreta] Fw: a tiny outburst of common sense

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Dec 17 08:37:23 CST 2007

Hi Lou,

The Minnesota state legislature was the first in the nation to enact a Global Climate Change Mitigation strategy into law. It is called "25 by 25" (25% reduction by 2025) bill.  It does exactly what you propose.  It requires the electric utility Exel Energy, to replace 25% of their electric generating capacity with wind and other renewables by the year 2025.  It is the first law of its kind and it is being accomplished ahead of schedule.  My belief is that the ball needs to keep rolling and even faster after 2025.

There is a phrase I thought of later yesterday ... "Pay It Forward" ... It was the title of a movie about soccer , I think , too.  But the idea to me seems that we need to change  from operating to get what we need now into more one of getting for futture generations what they will need then.  We have to live now only to sustain livability for others after us.  This is very different than live and let live, to each his own, every man for himself, and capitalistic markets, etc.  It is more like realizing that its pay back time.  We cannot any longer sustain the resource extraction and ignore the waste paradigm.  We need to think about sustaining people, people in other places and at later times.

We have to pay our abundance forward.