[Terrapreta] NZ leading the way

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Dec 17 11:40:52 CST 2007

Hi Kevin, Michael,

It's odd to think GW could even think in terms of "The Rapture" as a driving motive for his behavior?

My pulling the discussion into a religious concept comes more naturally arrived at, as a gregarious, human citizen of the planet.  Its our one Earth and I know as well as anybody that I would have wanted my parents to make it as livable a place could be as possible for me.  This is just like I want to do for my kids.  The statement by Brian Fallows said, ...
"At present the climate costs of the fossil fuels we burn are not sheeted home to the consumer.

They are diffused over the whole planet and accumulate for the future to deal with. It is a kind of subsidy from poor countries to rich ones and from future generations to the present."

We are choosing the pay later scheme, to the detriment of the poor and our children, I thought (the future?).  It seems pretty much like Un-Christian behavior, really, to continue to do so, don't you think?  In my catechism, if I remember, Jesus Christ said, "Suffer (take care of) the poor and the little children, for they shall inherit the Earth".  WWJD?  He'd do better husbandry of the Earth and provide for other humans, including and especially, the poor and downtrodden, and the little children, because they are among us and they are the only future.  We need to see that they too, more than us, will need a better world, rather than continue trying to improve the world for just ourselves.

There just were suddenly a lot of familiar and simple religious concepts to me, swept up and put in with the whole Global Climate Change Mitigation/Terra Preta project, all just by that Brian Fallows statement of the problem.  It brings to light that current practices for obtaining energy are ass backwards, when compared to the teachings of Jesus Christ.  So, it seems Un-Christian this way to not behave in a way which serves to rectify the problem (that is, to take Christ's recommendations).

"Pay It Forward" is a good motto for what I think needs to be done, then.  It sits with my religious sentiments, serves the young and the poor now, and moves my projects in the right direction for success.  An operating objective can be anything promoting energy sustainability in the future.

Michael Bailles referenced a video of Geoff Lawton "making deserts bloom".  That "Pays it Forward".  It is a plan now for how to tend land without Mother Earth's teat in the future.  Grow up people of Earth!  Go out now and do better husbandry "over" the land.  Provide from the Sun and the Living Surface of the Earth, alone, and no longer the bones of our antecedents.  Do this, or die in the heat, having forgot to try.

The sooner we can apply this sort of idea, then the more arable land to obtain food and energy, and the more able and sooner we can begin to wean ourselves off of the Earth's fossil carbon resources.  This will be required sooner (probably) or later anyway, when fossil carbon resources are exhausted, or when the planet dries up in runaway GW, because nothing was done in the early 21st century to combat GCC.